As summer knocks on the door, are you single and wish you were in a relationship? Rather than lamenting the fact you don’t have a romantic partner to enjoy the season with, flip this script, take a different perspective and reframe this as an opportunity to enjoy your singlehood!
Though it can be fun to be coupled up, there are some benefits to not having to worry about a partner when it comes to things you’d like to do and time spent making YOU happy. If there’s ever a time to celebrate and enjoy the things you want to do, this is it. Seize the opportunity!
Here are 6 ways to get the most out of being single this summer:
- Plan a trip. Connect with a friend or family member and shape your adventure. If you can’t swing an extensive absence, book up a number of your weekends with fun getaways that fit your budget.
- See where you live with new eyes. Awaken your sense of curiosity by exploring your area in a way you never have. Go to shops, hiking trails, museums, parks, neighborhoods, strip malls or cafes you’ve never seen. If you live in a big city, pull out a map, close your eyes and drop your finger onto a neighborhood – and check it out!
- Take a class. Investigate subjects you’ve been curious about like painting, drawing, metal art, jewelry making, a foreign language, underwater basket weaving or anything you’ve always wanted to do.
- Hit the town. Head out into the night with a pack of your guy or girl friends. Live it up, play, flirt or simply enjoy each other’s company with no agenda.
- Join meet-up groups. Find local groups who engage in interests similar to your regularly; hiking, biking, book clubs, etc. If you can’t find your niche, start one of your own!
- Volunteer. Investigate the avenues for volunteering in your area. Studies have shown that giving can improve your self-esteem and enhance the immune system.
Being single means freedom to do as you wish, on your own time frame and at your own pace. It also means extra time to nurture friendships and get adventuresome. Now go have a great summer!